Frankincense has to be one of my favourite winter oils. It’s the oil I always reach for whenever I feel like hibernating during the winter or if I’m feeling emotionally tired. In a world of hectic activity, I like to think that frankincense offers us a quiet pause – encouraging us to slow down and gather our scattered thoughts.
Frankincense is a precious aromatic oil from East Africa, valued for it’s wonderful ability to soothe the spirit and promote peace and calm. Soothing and uplifting, frankincense is a comforting oil for those feeling anxious or overwhelmed by negative feelings. It has a relaxing and grounding effect when inhaled and is a good oil to use if you feel agitated, tense or under pressure. Massage a few diluted drops into your temples to clear the head and melt away everyday stresses.
Frankincense is recommended for meditation due to it’s ability to deepen the breathing and open the lungs. Frankincense is a natural tonic, bringing calm and clarity and helping to quiet the busy mind. Try a few drops in your essential oil burner next time you take time out to do meditation or yoga, or just to help create a relaxing, restorative space. If you’re busy and on the go, our little roll on is a handy travel companion.
Frankincense is also a useful decongestant. It’s anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties make it a valuable choice for asthma, bronchitis and coughs. Apply a couple of drops to a hot flannel and place over the chest to bring relief. Alternatively, try a little of our Myrrh and Frankincense Balm as an aromatic chest rub.
Naturally rejuvenating, frankincense is one of our top anti-ageing skincare oils. It is used to purify and tone the skin. It is particularly replenishing to ageing skin, scarred tissue and stretch marks. We recommend it for damaged, dry or mature skin types. Our Frankincense Body Moisturiser is the perfect tonic for tired skin.
Here are some of my favourite ways to use this precious oil*:
- Use a few drops of frankincense in an essential oil burner to promote calm and peacefulness. It’s spicy, warm aroma teams beautifully with rose or any of the brightening citrus oils such as sweet orange, red mandarin and lemon.
- Add 2-3 drops of frankincense to a teaspoon of moisturiser or carrier oil for a wonderfully healing and rejuvenating skincare treatment. It is a superb tonic for problem, scarred or ageing skin.
- Rub 1 drop of frankincense oil between the palms of the hands and then cup them over the nose and mouth for an instant aromatic inhalation.
- Add 2-3 drops frankincense to a teaspoon of carrier oil or moisturiser and massage into the soles of the feet before bedtime. This is a fantastic way to clear the breathing and soothe a tired mind. I love mixing mine with a drop of lemon essential oil too whenever I feel under the weather. You can also massage this mixture into the back or chest as a decongestant rub.
- Add 6 drops frankincense to half a cup of oat or almond milk, mix well and then add to your bathwater for a warm, relaxing soak.
- Add 1 drop frankincense to a teaspoon of organic castor oil and apply directly to age spots or unsightly lumps and bumps. Apply it twice a day for best results.
Frankincense invites us to take time out from our busy lives to be still and peaceful.
I hope you find it as restorative and healing as I do.
Lindsey Anne Hedges MIFPA
*Please dilute your essential oils before use. We recommend using 1 or 2 drops in 5ml of carrier oil. Frankincense is a wonderful essential oil for children and it may also be used during pregnancy (after the first trimester). NB. None of the information provided is intended to diagnose, treat or prescribe for any medical conditions. If you require health advice, please seek the help of a medical professional.